Sunday, March 23, 2014

My City is Silent Tonight


                                                                                                             
Today my city weeps for the young man
who was stabbed on the thirteenth floor of my project tenement
making his way down twelve flights of stairs
leaving blood drops of dreams

Every flight was prayer:
For his family
for his wife and kids
for all the victims that ever lived

My City
 is silent tonight
mourning the loss of another Black man
who had so much to live for

My city is never silent
but tonight there is no
heart beat

Another Hispanic man died tonight
and two more will die by the end of this week

Tonight my city sleeps
my city weeps
as another father is lost to another violent night…

My city is silent tonight.

1 comment:

  1. A nice elogy that I enjoyed reading. Well done.

    Thank you. Love love, Andrew. Bye.

    ReplyDelete

Template Design By Baby in Heels